Tuesday 24 December 2013

Obligatory Christmas Outfit Post & 3D Audio Illusions

So it's been about 50 bajillion degrees (accurate scientific measurement) in Sydney for the past week or so, which has made me somewhat hesitant to take photos of my outfits for this blog. And let's face it - outfit posts of me in a stained singlet top and underwear sitting in front of a fan with messy hair and a red face (my stunning daily attire for the past week) wouldn't be particularly inspiring, anyway.

To make up for the lack of outfit posts over the last week, here's not one, but two Christmas outfits (my oh my, it's a Christmas miracle!)

The first is the outfit I wore for the Christmas party we threw for our friends last Saturday at our new city house. Tartan and lace are Christmassy, right? I thought so, which is why they are both in abundance in this outfit.
Shirt is from somewhere online (very old) | skirt originally c/o Choies | bow is from Japan | shoes no longer available | socks from a market stall

I also made a pavlova, a traditionally "Australian" dessert consisting of soft, gooey meringue smothered with whipped cream and fruit. This needs mentioning here because this was probably the first food I've enjoyed making ever. Never have I gotten so many compliments on food I've made (though you can't exactly go wrong with sugar, sugar and more sugar, which is essentially what this dessert is made of)! I made sure to take photos of it in all its glory before it was devoured.
I'm still sad that it's all been eaten...

This is the second of my Christmas outfits, which I will wear for visiting my family on Christmas day! They live somewhere much cooler, so a long-sleeve shirt is appropriate (I may even have to layer up). This skirt is a beautiful thing that I found while thrifting a while ago! The bow on the front is velvet, which makes it all the better.

Skirt and shirt are both thrifted | shoes are from Japan | socks from a market stall | hat is thrifted

I hope you all have a lovely holiday, guys!

OKAY, SO THIS IS AMAZING. If you're at a Christmas lunch with your extended family that you only see once a year, and at a loss as to what to talk about, show them this!
Binaural recordings record sounds by placing a dummy head - a simulation of a real human head, with shaped ears that modulate sounds - with a right and left microphone inside it into a recording room. This is done with the intention of creating a "three-dimensional" sound, causing the listener to feel like they're in a room with people and objects moving around them - and it's extraordinarily effective.

This video demonstrates the illusion of 3D sound (note: you will need headphones for it to work!!). I had to keep constantly taking out my headphones to figure out if the sounds were real, or if they were in the video. And if you're listening to this late at night, don't be freaked out by that opening door like I was, haha. *Mind blown*

(Also available as a 6MB audio file here).
 






Bloglovin' | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

13 comments:

  1. 1. adorable outfits per usual!
    2. Oh my glob! this is so cool! That virtual barber shop was a rather clever experiment! I was confused at first, and then amused and surprised at the effect...I almost felt that I could reach out my hand in the air, and trace the barbers invisible path of sound!

    ~Um from Umbridge ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahha, me too! At first there was so much confusion. I had to re-listen to the closing door in the intro a number of times before I completely believed that it WAS in the recording...

      Delete
  2. Both of your holiday outfits are adorable! I especially love the bow belt on the second outfit. You're definitely right about lace and plaid being super Christmas-y even if it's warm outside. I definitely get a holiday vibe from the first outfit even with it being appropriate for hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your christmas outfits, especially first one, so cute! i hope you'll have a wonderful, peaceful christmas! ^^

    christmas weirdoland - pigeongray.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been an avid follower of your blog all year but have been viewing it mobile so I'm never able to comment. I'll try not to ramble but I wanted you to know about the huge impact you've made on my life. I wanted to be a Psychology major ever since my aunt took me to work with her one summer as a kid after she got her PhD. My Psychology class is easily comprehendible since I've seen every topic that's touched on in either your posts or Vsauce's videos. I'm in my last year of high school so I've been applying to uni so I had to claim a major. I even wrote my application essay on qualia after being inspired by all your posts on perception (and Michael from Vsauce's video too). Psychology majors are the most popular at my first choice college but all your posts left me leaning to opt for Psychology with Behavioral Neuroscience so I'm hopefully a Psychology major and Biology minor next fall. I loved how the human mind is usually characterized as illogical but Psychology incorporates science to make the mind seem a bit logical. Thank you so much for the help you've given me, Annika. There's very few people I aspire to be like and you will always be one of them.
    -Jackie ꈍ .̮ ꈍ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie, ヽ(o´д`o)ノ。o.゚。
      I don't even know how to reply to this!!! I showed this to my mum, and she cried!! Haha. This was just the most incredible feedback I've ever received from doing this blog, and makes it all the hard work and self-doubt and time and effort and research I've put into this space completely and totally worth it.

      The subjects you've chosen for college sound fantastic! Having biology as a minor will really help as well I think, it's fascinating understanding not only how the mind works but how it gets there with a combination of genetics & the environment - in fact, I started out thinking I was going to do neuroscience as a major at my uni, but I've transferred to molecular biology & genetics because I found that area even more interesting! (Though behavioural neuroscience will always be one of my favourite things). I'm going to put heaps more effort into doing more psychology posts now, I reckon, just for you :D In fact, you'll enjoy this, I've got heaps more audio-perception posts to put up over the next couple of weeks - some really interesting things!

      Ahhh so I'm going to start rambling, because this was just the loveliest thing ever, but I'll stop myself from doing that, and just say thank you times one billion, and this was the nicest thing ever and I'll never forget it :) :) :)

      Delete
  6. hoooo boooyyy that dessert looks GOOD. cute christmas looks too:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both outfits but the second one is super cute! I love your hat:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I deleted my comment the first time I posted it due to being a little unsure if I should post something so personal. Saying you've helped me determine my future is somewhat of an understatement so I can't thank you enough. (•⚗৺⚗•) Haha what an honor, please post more neuroscience, you always presented it so eloquently. ꈍ .̮ ꈍ I'm glad, hopefully you see yourself less as an ordinary blogger because I'm sure you've inspired and will continue to inspire countless others! ٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و
    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails