Tuesday 27 January 2015

Bloomin' Science

SO - Hong Kong. Flip. I have been having the best time - I have accumulated around 50 gigabytes of video footage and photographs so far! As soon as I get some down-time (which, to be honest, may not be until I'm back in Sydney! Hehe), I am going to post ALL OF THE THINGS! I have been discovering the most amazing markets, shops and places to visit and I can't wait to share them. I've also been having a great couple of days of meeting Hong Kong locals, such as designer and illustrator Eilidh from Book of Deer! I love that my blog has allowed me to meet so many cool people from all over the world, who I would otherwise have never known about. Can I give a shout-out to the internet?
Top is DIY | necklace is handmade (Hong Kong, HKID gallery) | skirt is vintage | shoes are from Asos (sold out) | belt is vintage

Also - you might have noticed that I haven't posted any science news/facts/tidbits on here for a while. I've been having somewhat of a mini-life-crisis, thinking, "maybe I don't like science anymore?? Maybe I just want to do sewing/fashion/design and make videos forever??" - until I realised that I actually just dislike exams (who doesn't) and it was the stress of two super difficult biochemistry examinations that put me off science for a while. But last night I started watching SciShow again and remembered that I do actually love science. Because you can use it to answer both every serious and ridiculous question that you might have. Like "why can you see your breath in the cold?" and"do you REALLY only use 10% of your brain?" (the answer is no.)

I wanted to share one of my favourite videos from SciShow, to try and get back into the habit of blogging about science more regularly again! You should totally watch this, even if you already know the answer:

Much love!






Bloglovin' | Youtube | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

14 comments:

  1. I'm off to Hong Kong on sunday and your last few posts are making me even more excited for my trip! And good on you for sticking with science, unfortunately have biochemistry to (not) look forward to this coming semester. x Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arghh, good luck! you're going to love it sooooo much! :D <3

      Delete
  2. I bet that film Lucy annoyed you with all it's hand waving about actual science to do with the brain! I enjoyed how many scientists came out and were like 'woa woa, NO' to it. Glad you're still loving the science, you don't have to choose between the 2, you bring them together awesomely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhh you had better believe it. I so nearly tore down all the posters I walked past, haha. But yes I did enjoy the backlash as well! In the end, I think it might have helped more people to realise that that myth isn't true?

      Delete
  3. I love SciShow! Though the whole 10% of your brian thing drives me nuts. So many scifi plots revolve around the idea of "unlocking the brains potential" and it just drives me nuts! I hope that pseudo-science facts die now that the internet makes information more available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I actually think that the internet has the potential to make it a little bit worse, if you've already got specific biases! For example, I know that psychics/mediums love to use the 10% of the brain thing to "explain" their ability, and spreading misinformation via the internet is easy because welp, a lot of people will just believe anything they read from an authoritative-sounding source!

      Delete
  4. Agh, can't wait to see all the videos and stuff from hongkong. I get like that about science sometimes but it is definitely when I am not liking what I'm doing in science, like organic chemistry or circuits in physics. As soon as we're back onto particle physics or astrophysics I'm suddenly in love with it again:')

    The Quirky Queer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm the same! As long as I don't have to do maths, and I get to work in a lab, I'm happy :) but too much maths makes Annika a sad girl who dislikes science. *sigh* I really WANT to like maths...

      Delete
    2. (also organic chemistry is awesome, whatcha talking about ;) )

      Delete
  5. You are a cutie! So glad you are having a grand time on your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look adorable! That skirt is perfection - your posts are making me want to go to Hong Kong just to visit this shop!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so so excited you are having such a great time in Hong Kong! Cannot wait to see and hear all about your travels <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just me or I see Mori style in your skirt? <3
    Retro For Ladies

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this show! I also hate exams but love science, it's hard :( gorgeous look! xo
    amber love

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails