Saturday 26 July 2014

Harlequin Legs and Squid Suckers

Dress is thrifted | necklace is c/o Eclectic Eccentricity | similar tights in my store | shoes are from Japan | earrings handmade by me | lipcolour by LimeCrime (Wicked)

I love pattern mixing! I will forever ignore the silly "fashion rule" that you shouldn't wear more than one pattern at a time. Clashing patterns forever! Who's with me?

I am pretty happy with this thrift shop dress find, though. I've pretty much replaced my entire wardrobe through thrifting this year, which was a goal that I didn't think I'd be able to achieve! Of course, it helps when you know how to sew, and you're able to alter your finds to make them just a little bit better! Seriously, if you haven't gotten into sewing yet (WHY NOT?) you should give it a go! It will open up so many fashion possibilities for you (which I assume you're all interested in, being on this page and all). For me, it has meant that I can take anything from a thrift shop - mens shirts, plain skivvies, giant coats, you name it - and turn it into something awesome.

Electron scanning microscopes are wonderful. They not only allow us to see things with much more clarity than traditional light microscopes, but they can see smaller too. Electron microscopes can see things down to 1 nanometre in size. That's 1 billionth of a metre. You may have seen cool pictures of hair follicles via electron scanning microscopy.

So this is a cool demonstration of electron scanning microscopy. Above is a normal underwater photograph of a squid's suckers. Pretty cool; squids = cool.

But guess what these suckers look like when you get up close? Very close.
Image credit: Jessica Schiffman and Caroline Schauer, Drexel University

This is a "false coloured" image, so keep in mind that they're not actually green, but other than that this is exactly what those suckers look like close up! THEY LOOK LIKE LITTLE MONSTERS. I actually think they're kinda cute.
The suckers of the squid have these little "teeth" to aid their suction, helping the squid stick to things.

And this is also just one of the many reasons that I will absolutely never, ever eat squid.

That's it from me! I hope that you're all having a lovely day,







Bloglovin' | Youtube | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

24 comments:

  1. Where's the fun in only wearing one pattern though?
    Fun fact: I was looking through google images just under "velvet vintage dress" trying to re-find a reference image for my dress for my end of year dinner (yes I'm wearing a velvet vintage style dress and I'm pretty darn excited) and up popped a picture of you in a velvet circle skirt. I was just like heeeeyyyyy!

    Maeve xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm taking OVER the internet.

      Also vintage velvet dresses are like my favourite thing. You will be the belle of the ball ;)

      Delete
  2. YES TO PATTERN MIXING FOREVER. Also, your necklace is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This.is.wonderful :D The gold collar details and your dainty necklace are so cute! Also, loving your hair in these shots, your inspiring me to persevere and not grow my fringe out x

    http://melly-go-round.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I have the exact same faux collar. This outfit is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a fashion student I have it on good authority that pattern clashing is in this summer ;) so you are in fact on the cutting edge of fashion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, well, I guess I am not the fashion rebel I thought I was ;) haha

      Delete
  6. Hells yes to mixing ALL the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is so awesome, I love the pattern on the top and that collar! ♥
    And that squid thing is just one of the best things ever, I can't stop scrolling back up to that image!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The zoomed in picture of the suckers look like the biting plants from Mario :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying to learn to sew! I find it very difficult for some reason though. Maybe because I don't want to make a mistake and want it to turn out perfectly each time. I always enjoy your sewing tutorials though.

    Anyway, I'm loving the mix of pattern in this outfit. You look awesome, as usual. This is such an adorable dress!

    Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo you have to let yourself make mistakes when you're first learning! haha but I'm so glad to hear that you're learning how to sew, that's AWESOME!! :D What have you tried out so far?

      Delete
  10. Hey gurl! Your tights look great, as do my new gun stockings. Thank ya so much!

    This may seem a little impertinent but I can't recall you ever having mentioned whether or not you eat meat (bear with me). I was a vego for a couple of years what feels like a long time ago and unfortunately lost the habit whilst travelling. It's been on my mind a little bit recently. This morning my existential dilemma came to a climax when I somehow thought that BBQ octopus from the farmers markets would be a good hangover cure on my way to work. Oh how I was wrong. I couldn't stop thinking about how intelligent octopuses are. But if I didn't finish what I had purchased then the octopuses death would be in vain! The suckers had a weird/crunchy consistency which is making me feel squeamish looking at the electron image!

    Btw you've also inspired me to start sewing in the future (summer uni break, fo sho)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, it's so frustrating for me because like you, I have a lot of existential dilemmas about meat eating but I'm medically unable to be a vegetarian >.< I tried for about 6 months last year and made myself very ill, ugh. I always make sure to eat every single last bit of the animal that gave its life up for my meal though, so I understand them feels! BBQ octopus sounds like the worst hangover cure in the world to me though, hahaha.
      I'm so glad you like your gun stockings though, yayyy! :D and good luck with sewing! :)

      Delete
  11. Your sewing tutorials always make me want to learn how to sew using an actual sewing machine, but I'm still really nervous. I took a home economics class in high school and a needle went right through a student's finger. That's why if I have to sew, I just sew by hand! It takes so much longer to do things though.

    And omg, I just had squid the other day and that may have been that last time, haha, they do look a lot like the piranha plants from the Mario games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a needle go through my finger, it wasn't all that bad ;) haha. You just have to be careeeeful hehehe. Once you do it once, you won't make the same mistake again!
      But you should totally learn! do it do it do it!

      Delete
  12. Nothing will put me off eating squid, not even tiny little teeth. hahah. No seriously, chopitos is so delicious, I am waay past being squeamish about it. The dress is amazing, you have such good thrift shop finds. It looks like something from Modcloth. Did it come with the gold on the collar? I never see that look outside of Internet bloggers! I'd love to see before and after photos for your thrift shop finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually did come with the gold collar! Such a good find :D But yeah, I agree, I've seen collar tips on the internet MUCH more than in real life, haha!

      Delete
  13. For anyone who is interested this dress could be bought at some point from the store Mink :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such fab tights! I wish I looked good clashing loads of prints but I just don't :( all my clothes are mad prints but i can never figure out how to wear anything! Also I saw this squid pic omg it's sick haha! Yay for science! :D
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a bit of pattern mixing! Well, actually I don't have any choice because almost everything I own is patterned... x x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails