Sunday 6 July 2014

Checker Boards & Ridiculous Good Luck

Shirt and shorts are thrifted | Space shuttle necklace c/o Eclectic Eccentricity | Astronaut c/o Ginger Pickle | shoes are no longer sold | earrings are handmade by me | similar tights in my store - many more coming soon! | lipstick is Lime Crime (Wicked)

Post preface (I promise that this will all make sense in a moment): You know when you have those vivid dreams where you go out and buy a really perfect dress/your parents get you a puppy/you discover the perfect food, etc etc... and because the dream was so vivid and perfect and happy, you wake up really excited - but then after a few blissful moments you sadly realise it was all just a dream?

Alright, keeping that in mind - the most amazing thing happened to me the other day and I'm still pinching myself!

For some reason nobody in my family told me about this until now, but my uncle used to run a business which manufactured patterned tights (this was about 10 years ago now) and supplied them to department stores, including stores in Japan. Anyway, there were still a fair few of these tights that were never ever sold, that were just laying around all boxed and packaged up in a basement. And they are -- AH-MAZING -- and still in perfect condition, and, well, they need to be worn and seen by the world (and saved from landfill) rather than being all boxed up! Needless to say, I took them off his hands! While I have selfishly kept for myself all the tights that there were only one design left of (like the ones I am wearing above), there were also quite a few duplicates of some really cool designs - which I'm going to start selling in my store to help support me through uni this year!

Believe it or not, that wasn't the end of my good luck. The business also made cute accessories like scarves and scrunchies. For this, they required a lot of cute fabric. Fabric which was also still sitting in large, industrial-sized bolts next to the boxes of tights. Fabrics like tartan, velveteen and paisley, to name a few. And my amazingly generous uncle just let me have them all. I nearly fainted.
I now have my own private little fabric shop in my shed.

CAN YOU EVEN BELIEVE THIS? I STILL CAN'T! Please tell me that I am not dreaming!

Ahhhh *such excitement* and hooray for family! I don't think I have any excuses not to start up a little store selling my own designs, now ;) I'm thinking that some cute tartan pinafores are in order. Please do let me know if you'd be interested in me making stuff to sell! This was the start I needed to get my designs out into the world.

And you know what, if I am dreaming, actually don't wake me up - I'm way too happy right now! :)







Bloglovin' | Youtube | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

25 comments:

  1. That is so cool, especially the awesome tights! What an amazing discovery. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about find of the century!! Good luck with selling your designs, all your stuff is super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg! Congrats on your great luck!!! You look great, I can't wait to see what you make with this stuff!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would buy every pinafore you make with those fabrics untill I run out of money :) I really, really love everything you make! Start making those pinafores! I know you can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHH that's so super freaking cool! That's some amazing luck indeed!! I love that blue tartan fabric, I reckon a pleated schoolgirl skirt made from that material and a matching collar or something would look gorgeous, I can see it in my head now!

    I would love to see what you come up with for those fabrics :)

    Demi | carbonchic.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  7. This outfit looks so great on you, wow! Plus those tights are super cute and I'm really, REALLY jealous of that fabric score!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG this is true luck ! It is sooo great for you, and this is funny because before reading your text I was thinking "I love her tights they are amazing !" x)
    Lucky you, and I can't wait to see what you'll do with all those cute fabrics !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. That AWESOME I wish I had that kind of luck! One day. Also, ove the limecrime lipstick in these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. soooo cool!!
    You're really lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my stars please make a tartan pinafore! Dream! Love the tights as well, I don't think i can pull off as quirky as you *sadface* but I can try! xo
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's so cool! what an amazing find. those tights look amazing on you and I can't wait to see the rest!
    x
    www.staygoldrebecca.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whaaaaat?? That's awesome! You sure had a wonderful streak of good luck! Those tights are so awesome and I love the way they look with your cute red shoes. Plus amazing pattern mixing going on here.

    Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm super duper jelly! Fabric and cute tights are two of my favorite things! The same kind of thing happened to a friend of mine, she got fabric, rolls of ribbon, plastic boning, steel boning and loads of thread from a neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh! That is so ucky. Those tights are rad and oh my you can do so many different things with that fabric. Im excited for you haha.

    Cats in Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's amazing! What incredible luck. Although what I can't believe, knowing you how did your parents not tell you about your family business venture before? It seems exactly your kind of thing! I also can't wait for you to start making and selling more. I would totally buy your designs. I know it was something special and personal that you made for a friend, but the imaginative genius behind the Mr Strong pinafore - you are so talented! I think it's fantastic that you can do that and the science degree and say fuck you to the idea we can only do one thing with our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) :) :) :) :) This comment totally made my morning. Thank you, you are so wonderful :D

      Delete
  17. This is an amazing outfit! You look like a cartoon-- in a good way!
    Just like the red queen of hearts xoox What a mad pattern.
    Good luck with your adventures!

    http://loveyenrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's such a cool revelation and those tights look amazing. I love the shorts too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful, and I can't think of a more fitting person to receive this gift of style/gift of fashion. I am going to love seeing all the wonderful things like tartan pinafores that you design and show off......
    No one takes more risks in fashion, yet hits the mark of excellence and perfection so often as you do.
    I seriously want those tights so very badly..........
    and with those red shoes........ and those high waisted shorts.....so lovely everything.....
    and that contrasting top........... oh my..... what a mind you have, but yet more so.......what an EYE you have.

    Love it all......

    Jayme, your fashion and ballet loving GUY fan from the USA. You will always be a super inspiration to me dear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Come to think of it...... the first time I ever saw your blog was when you designed, and had sewn, and then you were modeling a romper I think it was.... and it was sooooo lovely....and it barely covered your bum.......you even remarked........ it was still so feminine and beautiful..... I immediately went and tried to duplicate the design myself.... I've sewn since I was 13. I'm still terrible at pleats, but.......
    Jayme

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, thank you so much Jayme :) It makes me so so so happy that I have inspired you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Annika:
    No, thank YOU. It's your eye for style, and gumption to "go for it" fashion wise.
    I will always remember the first time I wore your romper on campus....... I was scared, but at the same time proud, and surprisingly comfortable in the step off of the proverbial cliff that I had taken.
    Jayme

    ReplyDelete
  23. You seriously make everything look amazing. You mix patterns so wonderfully <3

    How awesome is that! You are incredibly talented and I would be thrilled if you started selling your cute creations. My only fear is that I would go broke buying from you c;

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails