Sunday 2 March 2014

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Dress is DIY | bow is DIY | tights from Daiso | shoes are Naot Kedma's | lipstick is MAC (Ruby Woo)

Ever since I made this caterpillar dress, and was made aware of the existence of real hungry caterpillar fabric by some lovely blog readers, I have been trying to get my hands on some to make another dress with! I eventually tracked down a few different hungry caterpillar prints at fabric.com. I'm really happy with how the back of the dress turned out (I basically tried to copy the back of this dress without the scallops) BUT I feel like something is missing, and so I'm not completely happy with it yet.
I think that I probably need to add a waistband to break up the middle section, but I'm not sure what fabric I should use for it. The top or the bottom fabric? A different colour? Or is it missing someting else? Throw your ideas at me, I'd really appreciate your input! (And I'll totally mail the person/people with my favourite ideas a hungry caterpillar hair bow, too. Incentive! Yeah!)

I learnt something which I never knew about caterpillars the other day! I was actually listening to the Radiolab episode "Black Box" when I learnt this (which was a really, really good episode - you should listen to it if you have the time.)

When caterpillars become butterflies, they undergo a period of metamorphosis in which they shed their skin and wrap themselves up into a chrysalis, which I knew. But what I didn't know was that during the process of metamorphosis, the caterpillar itself literally turns to mush inside it's chrysalis. Enzymes digest the body of the caterpillar into a "soup" of fluids and cells, and from there, it reforms into a butterfly.

This in an excerpt from How Stuff Works on the process:
Much of the body breaks itself down into imaginal cells, which are undifferentiated -- like stem cells, they can become any type of cell. The imaginal cells put themselves back together into a new shape.
In the 16th Century, after observing this process, naturalists believed that caterpillars were actually dying and then a completely new life form - the butterfly - was arising from the goo, so degraded did the original caterpillar appear. We now know that the butterfly is, genetically, the same animal that went into the chrysalis, and that even though the majority of the body turns into goo, it can even retain its memories of its life as a caterpillar.

The story on radiolab about the metamorphosis of caterpillars is amaaazing and I recommend that you listen, right now (click here if you can't view the embedded player below). It gets all metaphysical and less science-y in the last four minutes, but it's definitely still worth a listen.
(Go to ~0:20 to skip the ads)

I hope that you're all having a woooonderful day!







p.s. The winner of the $200 Sarsparilly giveaway is Nancy W.! Thank you so much for everyone who entered. I so look forward to bringing you more giveaways just like this, with amazing handmade and smaller online stores such as Sarsparilly, in the future! Thank you for supporting them!


Bloglovin' | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

28 comments:

  1. Ugh Annika!!!! THIS IS AMAZING. I've seen dresses in similar fabrics before, but this is definitely the most charming. PLUS... the little orange button in back?! Genius!! I think the addition of an orange belt (sewn on or otherwise) would be pretty lovely. And I love the matching bow! So so darling.

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, "or otherwise". I like that idea - I'm really not too keen on having to rip the top and bottom annnd the zipper apart, and then sew it all back together AGAIN, so maybe I could do something detachable! Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. ugh you're so adorable I can't even handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful dress!


    www.violetdaffodils.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe you could make a belt the same colour as the button (on the back?) or maybe the same colour as one of the colours on the fabric?

    ps....I am kinda absolutely adoring your style!!! Your clothes are super cute, and I really really really really love your blog and youtube channel!! (I am fangirling over the awesomeness of your style. is that weird?!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo, it's so super nice and making me do so many smiles :) :)

      Delete
  5. Having childhood flashbacks with the pattern, so cute! I really need to put some effort into sewing things myself.
    BTW, it's doxographies, I did I guest post for you once (like a year ago) I kind of accidentally dropped off the face of blogger and came back under a different name
    eerilee.blogspot.co.uk
    youtube.com/user/doxography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course i remember you! :D I was happy to see your name pop up when you asked me that question on youtube the other day! How did you go with the pinafore?

      Delete
    2. I haven't had time to make it yet, but I have the fabric! I'll probably make a video when I do make it though :)

      Delete
    3. Oooh, awesome! I should subscribe to your channel...

      Delete
  6. Definitely something with a belt. Although I would make it the same colour as the shoes, just to tie the colour into the outfit more. All you'd really need is to look a tan belt around the waist--although if you're anything like me, loose belts annoy me and you'd want to sew in a couple of belt loops at the back (not at the front, they're more visible at the front, the back ones are just to secure the belt and prevent chaffing).

    I think that dress is definitely the prettiest you've made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This idea wins, hands-down! Going to send you a hair bow, lady :)

      Delete
  7. That dress is fantastic and I am so happy to see my favorite mustard tights on display, especially on your gorgeous legs. Wonderful photos and lovely you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an interesting post! The print on the dress is amazing - I loved The Hungry Caterpillar when I was younger! :D

    technicolourdreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree you need something. I think since you have two patterns (right?) that similar and slightly different, you need something to break the two. I think a thick belt, or sewing a bow/buttons on the dress around the waist would look cute. Personally I would sew a bow in the middle of the waist that has an ice cream cone in the middle of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this cute DIY! It fits you well, not only physically but the colors pop just like you!

    Xo
    Savannah
    http://savannahkrystine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! Do you have a tutorial for this one?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty dress! Please make a tutorial for the back part pretty please! :33

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my god! as a child the hungry caterpillar was one of my favourite books so this dress is absolutely amazing! it's so beautifully made too

    xo Sarah
    http://absolutelysarahx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The fabric of your dress is amazing! Good job lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, I FREAKING love your dress! The fabric is super fantastic [aaahh childhood haha], and I love what you did with the back! As for breaking it up/ adding something, have you thought of just making a simple detachable belt? I feel like a blue similar to the blue on the skirt would be super pretty :]

    Also, oh my gosh. I did not know the thing about the caterpillars. I feel like my life is a lie. Goo? They really turn to goo? Really? Haha Mind. Blown.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely love this. I always look forward to your outdoor outfit posts; you're a master at working the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the dress is great the way it is (and by great I mean fan fuking fantastic!) I love this dress. If you were to add a belt I would take a common bright color from both the fabrics... like for example lets just say there is alot of orange in both of the fabrics I wiould do the solid color of orange as the belt. If you decide you do not want a belt but still do not feel completly happiness here are a few things I might of tried if I had made the dress.
    You can 1. on the back flap detail on the edge add a bias tape type of thing on the round edges in a bold color that matches the fabric. (not sure if that made as much sense typed out as it did in my head) 2. I would do a contrasting color like I talked about before that is in both the fabrics at the bottom of it. Like ad a 1-2 inch length of just a solid color. Or 3rd - I think it needs something on the neckline but not like a scarf or more fabric. I dont know if a peter pan colar is the way to go or not. Again use a contrasting color of the fabrics.

    Those were just a few random ideas of mine but I really do LOVE this dress. Rock it girl

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have totally seen this fabric! It's the first time I've seen one of your amazing prints before. I was so tempted by it before, but it was like double the amount per yard of the other fabrics around when I was looking. Now I kind of wish I had because a skirt would have been so fun.
    I am with the others and saying that solid colour belt in orange or green would probably look really good with the dress. Also, maybe a peter pan collar in the same fabric as the dress? Or in the same as the belt? Hmm. Lots of things that could look great!

    I also just love that you made the hair bow for the top too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Duude I haven't been on your blog in ages! How are you?! You are looking beautiful and I love your hair and dress and YOU and waahahh. The Very Hungry Caterpillar was a masterpiece and I had forgotten all about it until just now!

    Kirsten Learns

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this fabric!! Great dress! I'm gonna try out some of your diy!! :) Already love your blog!
    xx
    http://ohmydarlingdeer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails