Monday 10 March 2014

Nautical Cherries / The Pin & Needle Collective

 Dress is Glitters for Dinner | shoes are Golden Ponies | bloomers are wholesale (super old) | hair clip is c/o Sarsparilly

This was the outfit I wore to the International Women's Day March in Sydney on the weekend! For some reason, Saturday was a day where many strangers were just really confused about my outfit. Three times I was asked if I was dressed up for a party or special event. "No..." I replied, "I just wanted to dress like a sailor today," which seemed to confuse people even more. What's weird about wanting to dress up like a sailor? Have I really moved that far away from "mainstream" fashion? Is Sydney just really boring, fashion-wise? Or do people just not get "nautical"??

So I'm about 80% sure that I'm going to be changing my blog name. In fact, this came about because it was miss-spelt in this (wonderful) zine that I contributed to the other day as "Pin and Needle Collective", and I went "hey. Hey now. Pin and needle. Like sewing! Oh my glob! That's way better than Pineneedle Collective!" I have also never really liked Pineneedle Collective (and never thought anyone would end up reading this, so I didn't bother choosing a good name...), and this small name-change would also let me keep the same domain name, which was one of the major issues preventing me changing my blog's name in the past! So, what do you guys think of Pin & Needle Collective? It can even be thought of as "Pin e Needle Collective", and I can pretend that I'm being fancy and Italian (because "e" is "and" in Italian). There's a very tenuous connection there, don't worry, because my boyfriend is Italian and I totally visited Italy last year...

But I don't know. There's still 20% of me that's grown quite attached to Pineneedle Collective. So let me know what you guys think. I want to hear from both people who've been reading along for a while, as well as people who've only just discovered my blog! You will definitely help me to make up my mind.

I hope that you're all having a wonderful week thus far,







Bloglovin' | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

23 comments:

  1. I really like 'Pineneedle Collective'! Where do you ever hear/ read the world pineneedle? I think for new comers it's memorable. For some reason 'Pin & Needle Collective' doesn't sound right to me... which I guess makes it memorable in its own way?

    Either way, I'm a long time fan so no matter what your name is I'm never going to forget you!

    (... wow, that sounded less creeper-y in my head!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I get weird looks all the time because of what I wear, but that's why I follow your blog, and not blogs where everything is designer-bought--and made to make everyone look the same as each other. A sailor collar is definitely skimming into "weird" territory--but in a good way!

    When I first heard the name of your blog, I thought it was too many syllables. Like there's a whole bunch of them and stuff! Now that I've been reading for quite a while, I'm quite used to it and it's kind of warm and familiar to me. I don't think "Pin & Needle Collective" is too far away from the original, so you'd probably be able to get away with it, I think.

    Demi
    http://carbonchic.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. After all it is your blog and you should do what makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. I'm sorry I misquoted your name but glad that you were entertained by it. Teehee I cringed at myself inside. The weird thing is I've followed you for over a year and always been like 'that's a really cool name for a sewing blog lalala'. What a boob x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love nautical and I think your outfit is ace. I almost bought a sailor type dress last saturday and now I'm sort of regretting not getting it. I like "pineneedle" it's a really different name and makes you stand out. However, pin and needle would be hella appropriate seeing as you make a lot of cool stuff. Either one works and I guess, because they're so similar, you could always change it back again later down the line...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your sailor outfit! Dressing nautically is one of my favorite styles! And I know how you feel about being asked about your outfit and getting strange looks, I wear outfits all the time where people are like, "hey what character are you supposed to be!?" And I'm just kind of like..umm. Hah also recently for some reason people have been asking me if I'm in like a dance group because of these new shoes I got... But I've been getting that same question even without the shoes.. People are just so interesting.

    Also I love the name Pineneedle Collective!! It's very quirky and unique and like nothing else! I just am not a person of change and it would be hard to get used to the new name! But hey, it's your choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely pro 'Pin & Needle Collective'. Anyway, this is your blog and if you think it needs a name change then that's all the justification you need! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Pineneedle Collective, just because it's what I know and it's fewer words, but obviously it's your blog and you can do whatever you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my opinion, "Pin & Needle Collective" is much catchier and really encapsulates your work. It has a nice cadence, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your nautical outfit is lovely!
    As for your blog's name, I always thought The Pineneedle Collective was very catchy and had a certain charisma to it, however The Pin & Needle Collection works as well considering you do tons of (amazing) DIYs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, sailor style wins every time! I am so so so in love with the collar (of course!) <3 P.s. I really like both names! I totally get wanting to change to 'pin and needle' though - you do so many DIYs - and amazing ones too!

    xo
    Lost in the Haze

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think that dress looks like a costume! I'd wear it out and about on a normal day. It's adorable!
    xoxo, Lindsey Dish
    thebeltedpear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love pineneedle actually. It really reminds me of the lovely scent of the Blue Mountains or a nice rainforest smell. It's more unique, too. That being said, Pin & Needle is clever, so it would work too. :)
    I always wear sailor dresses or jackets. I guess I don't mind if people don't really "get" what I'm wearing, as long as I enjoy wearing it. I think you look lovely! Do what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't mind which way it is, if I don't like it, I can still refer to it as the old way because its so similar haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. pin & needle (especially the Italian way) is definitely clever! however, I think that as the first comment says, one never sees "pineneedle" written anywhere, so its sort of whimsical and memorable...pin and needle seems to hint at an "only sewing" blog, though. perhaps you could make a special sewing section IN your blog called "pin & needle collective"....ideas~

    and your sailor dress is too cute, I don't get why anyone would be confused...what is so confusing about being an adorably fashionable sailor? people, honestly... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely I think the outfit is soooo cute *0*

    恵美より ♥
    emi-doll.blogspot.jp

    ReplyDelete
  18. IMHO "Pineneedle Collective" sounds better than Pin & Needle Collective and I must say I got really used to it :) Greetings from Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a little late on this, but in this part of the world, having "pins and needles" refers to that prickly feeling when your leg goes numb! I actually really like pineneedlecollective, it sounds smart. But I have to agree with you that the new name would make more sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love love love the name pineneedle collective. If I could have it for my own blog name I would in a heartbeat. Its what made me attracted to your blog in the first place

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Annika I was wondering how durable the golden ponies are. I'm rather rough with my shoes and have been eyeing them for a while :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, I'm sorry! :( I haven't worn mine a lot yet, so I have no idea!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails