Sunday 29 September 2013

Golden Hour Hamburgers / Time Perception

Pinafore and shirt are thrifted, socks are from Tutuanna, necklace is from Clear It and shoes are from Japan. 
Photos are by Ana Andrés.

I love golden hour! It is without doubt the best time for taking photos because you can't go wrong with golden hour lighting - shadows are super soft and the light is warm and nostalgic. And these photos ended up kinda romantic too - if you look very closely you can see two separate couples in their wedding gear in the background (nawww).

These photos finally prompted me to slightly adjust my blog layout so that I can have bigger photos! From now on, all my photos will be of this size (and please ignore the inconsistency between this and the last post!)

A science paper that came out in the last week has utterly fascinated me, and I needed to share it with you all. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you will know that I am also fascinated by perception and have talked in depth about colour perception in particular. Your perception can be totally different both to another person's, and to other animal's perception of the world. But I've usually only focused on visual perception. Today, I'm going to talk about time perception.

You've probably been in this situation before - endlessly trying to swat at a mosquito or a fly, but it always moves away too quickly for your hand to reach it. Well, a new study shows that small creatures probably perceive time as much slower than we do. That noisy flying insect starts seeing your hand moving slooooowly towards it, yawns, has a scratch, then leisurely moves out of the way. For that insect, you might as well be moving though honey.
Image source
Smaller animals, and animals with faster metabolisms, have their visual system send updates to their brain more frequently than larger, slower animals like humans, elephants and turtles. In order to discover this relationship, researchers from Ireland and the U.K. correlated body size and metabolism with the ability to recognise flashes of light per second. A light that appears constant to us (such as televisions, which are actually a series of images rather than a constant stream), will appear like a strobing light to animals such as dogs and flies, as TVs refresh more slowly than the visual systems of these animals do.

And just as colour perception could theoretically vary from person to person, it has left me wondering if time perception can too (children certainly seem to get bored a lot more quickly than adults - could this in part be due to them perceiving the world more slowly?)

A lot to think about! Read more here, and have a great day,

16 comments:

  1. Thinking about time perception is just so cool. I think it's interesting how it seems to depend on the life span of the animal. The bit about children perceiving time as slower definitely seems true to me. That's why everything goes so quickly when we grow up! I'd love to see a study on children's perception of time vs. adults.

    Also I absolutely love your overalls. They look perfect with your flatforms and long sleeved blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure a study like that probably already exists! Though I don't know if anyone has ever tried to separate time perception between adults and children using flashing lights per second... it's probably a smaller difference than that!

      Delete
  2. That necklace is the necklace of my dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, I love your outfit and those shoes!

    I've always been fascinated about how the way we see things are different from other 'creatures' and it's really interesting to see how they live and work! Love your little snippets of facts and the end of each post! I learn something new everyday!

    Yuen @ The Craziest Paradigm - a 'lil bit of rust & stardust

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new layout. The words and photos fit perfectly on my iPhone screen. I really appreciate the whole time perception post too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your outfit is so cute! I love the socks and the shoes especially. I always love reading your science facts, this about time perception sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg that's so cool! It makes me feel a little bit less sad for them having 48 hour life spans or whatever :)
    I love your little jumper, you're the cutest thing ever.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought, too! The short life spans of insects used to make me really sad haha. But now I feel like they get a lot more out of life because it seems a heck of a lot longer to them!

      Delete
  7. How adorable is that outfit!? And yes, I love golden hour too- def. the best! Alex

    tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the golden hour! Everything just looks magical. You look splendid as always ♥


    Kathy
    www.mypeachdays.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the third photo.. you look so sassy!

    xE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute outfit. You are always lovely!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Besides from you lovely outfit I have to say that todays scientific fact was really interesting. I had no idea about time perception and that it changed according to species, its actually really fascinating so thanks so much for sharing it. Now I don't have to wonder how the mosquito or a fly managed to escape my hands :)

    Chamomile Dealer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails