Friday 30 August 2013

Conscience about Clothes & Hacking Into Consciousness

Dress, bag, cardigan and belt are thrifted, shoes are c/o Yeswalker, socks are from Tutuanna and hat is c/o Wholesaledress (dress styled before here, although I didn't change too much because it goes so well with these shoes and hat).

I want to thank you all SO MUCH for the feedback on my last post. I have been so encouraged by all the thoughtful comments, suggestions of stores to check out, posts to read and emails I've been sent on the topic of ethical fashion. You've entirely convinced me that I've made the right decision. I'll admit that it's been difficult to eschew the desire to accept offers of sponsorship from cute clothing stores (who doesn't love free clothes?), especially as I would never have had the money to buy so many clothes for myself this past year. However, I am now really glad that I've come to the decision to cease sponsorship on my blog when I don't know where the clothes actually come from. The feedback from my last post that most got me over that line was actually from my mum (who is probably my biggest fan; and I know if I give her this shout out she'll be really excited - hi Mum!), because after reading my post she was inspired to buy fair trade chocolate and an etsy necklace as a gift for her friend.

So, my science news for today is that I was on one of my favourite science podcasts as a guest! I was so excited/nervous to have to speak on something that was being real-life recorded - I have never thought of myself as a good speaker and will always prefer to write my thoughts down where I can reread them a billion times over before making them public. But somehow, I managed to sound alright, especially considering everything was delayed over the Skype connection. If you guys want to listen to it you can find it here. *Note: before you listen, the clip that plays at the beginning is meant to be a joke. Don't worry.

We talk about hacking consciousness with the first human brain-to-brain interface (which is SO exciting, I'll probably do my own separate post on it), I explain a concept from the philosophy of science, and we also talk about an... interesting Australian political candidate who thinks the UN can control the weather.

If you're not up to listening to an hour-long podcast (although I promise that it's very entertaining), then you can find the article I wrote for their website in January here

*Also note: "skeptic" as it's used here means "scientific skeptic", which is what all scientists should be. To be a scientific skeptic means using the scientific method to look at experiments in a rational and (hopefully) unbiased way. It means being open minded to all ideas, but labeling as "unscientific" those ideas that repeatedly fail to demonstrate evidence for their claims (as in astrology and fortune telling). In fact, the Scientific American just wrote up a good definition of the word skeptic, and other misused science terms, here.

I hope you're all having a really lovely day!








Bloglovin' | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

14 comments:

  1. That cardigan is just gorgeous! What a great thrift find! So glad that you had such a response from your last post!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely dress! your last post is really inspiring!

    toinfinitynbeyond13.blogspot.hk

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your dress! you look so pretty as always annika! :D

    xoxo,
    rae
    http://raellarina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow nice frock. I also like to wear frocks. But my husband don't like to it. However I want to give as frock to my one and only sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look adorable! That bag is a seriously amazing thrift store find. Listening to your podcast now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Youu look gorgeous! Loving this look. And I'm really interested to see all of your future posts on this subject. I want to listen to your Skype podcast but I'm at work, so I'll have to look later! :)

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubretttebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, that's so cute that your mom bought some fair-trade chocolate! She sounds so sweet. And congrats for being featured on an awesome podcast!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Annika! I love that you've decided to buy ethical. How would you go about asking a store if their clothing is produced ethically? Because they can always just lie.
    P.S Thanks for being awesome <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment :)

      They could, I guess. Which is why I've ended all my sponsorships at the moment, unless they're definitely vintage/handmade which you can kind of tell. I just straight up asked some of the people I was ending sponsorship with where their clothes were made and what my concerns were. What I got back so far is this: A woman that I have spoken to who is supplier of wholesale clothing from China has said that the price their garment makers are paid is decent, in fact it's the same as what she herself is paid. And although it's not much, everything in her country is cheaper - food, clothing, housing, etc, so from her point of view, it's all relative. But from that, I'm still really unable to gauge if the conditions of the workplace are something that I would myself want to work in. I still feel that I really don't know enough, and I don't want to continue potentially supporting unethical clothing stores until I do.

      Delete
  9. aww you look so cute, Annika! your dress and your cardigan go so well together! :) It's great that you decided to start buy ethical, I support your decision, though I must confess sometimes it's very hard to find out where does something come from! good luck :)
    -
    Ester @ Drawing Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just discovered you and I love all your looks! I'm following you now! :) Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on being a guest on the science show, that's fantastic. I was just thinking that through blogging about science you must have learnt so much about the latest scientific developments. It's great that you're so up-to-date, I think you are going to be snapped up by a very lucky science institution one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww man thank you so much :D
      Yeah! It's actually a great way to keep on top of all the new developments! I'm enjoying science blogging for many reasons :)

      Delete
  12. Cute outfit!! I especially love your hat and lovely little socks! xx

    Janelle
    http://amintdaydream.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails