Monday 1 July 2013

Paint by Numbers and Italian Scientists

Ciao! I am currently writing this post from a vineyard in Italy! I took these photos back in rainy Sydney, though - I haven't coincidentally found a wall that looks exactly like the same one back at home to take photos in front of.

Ahh, and Italy... what can I say. There are not enough superlatives to describe how amazingly awesomely wonderfully beautiful it is. There will be photos.

blouse - Thrifted
skirt - c/o Romwe
socks - c/o OASAP
bag - Thrifted
hat - c/o Wholesale
shoes - Yeswalker

As I am currently still very jetlagged, I am re-posting a science story I wrote back in January (originally here) about one of my inspirations, the Italian scientist Rita Levi-Montalcini. So if you've seen this before, I apologise! But as she was such an awesome person, this might be worth re-reading anyway.

Rita Levi-Montalcini was an amazing, fiery and bad-ass neuroscientist, who sadly passed away in January, aged 103 years old.
Image source and article
Italian-born, she pursued a career in science at university despite both her father and 1930s society being generally against women in higher education. Then, she had to go into hiding when Mussolini came into power, as she was Jewish and thrown out of her university. To continue studying science, she built a secret research laboratory. Despite this, in 1986 she won a Nobel Prize for discovering something called "nerve growth factor", which greatly advanced our understanding of how neurons (nerve cells) work. Being at this point 77 years of age, she never slowed down - she went on to found the European Brain Research Institute in Rome, and a foundation encouraging the education of young women in Africa. She gave lectures and spoke out about promoting equality for women in science. And she turned up to work every day super well-dressed, with perfectly manicured hands and coiffured hair, even after turning 100. Basically, I want to grow up to be Rita. Read more about her amazing life here.








Bloglovin' | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

17 comments:

  1. This is such an adorable look! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another pretty look! I love it!

    x Angela // bouncingbrunette.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely Rita Levi-Montalcini was an amazing scientist she didn't just live a full life her cup was overflowing! Also love your outfit cute as always. Especially loving printed skirts on you so lovely<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your skirt, so unique :) I'm a big fan of you X)

    charmingberryz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the skirt, very unique! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun in Italy! This skirt is so cool and unique!

    http://chamomiledealer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have the most badass clothes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I have so many things to say about this post!:
    1. I LOVE your shoes!!
    2. I can't wait to hear all about Italy!
    3. Rita Leti-Montalcini is one hell of a woman...talk about inspiring.
    x

    Melissa
    http://wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I have this skirt! I love how you've styled it here! And yayyy Italy, I cannot wait to hear more and see photos!

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely outfit!! <3

    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7086281

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaaaw you're in italy, so close to me (I'm at Barcelona!). I wish you could come to visit Barcelona, you would love it... but Italy is a great option too, hahaha! Eat lots of pasta and ince cream <3
    Btw, lovely outfit, so 'good girl' <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute skirts and pretty outfit! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That skirt is so beautiful! I love the way that you styled it.

    ~Vicki
    Decked Out in Ruffles

    ReplyDelete
  14. That SKIRT!! It's AMAAAAAAAAZING!!!!

    xoxo
    Helena
    takeabowblog.blogpot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Rita was such an awesome, inspiring person! Thanks for sharing this story!
    Also, how perfect is this skirt for a trip to Italy? It's so cute with those knee socks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails